This craft is a family gift based on Psalm 139:13-14 “You knit me together in my mother’s womb. I praise you because I am fearfully and wonderfully made.” Your child will complete a tube knitting project on the loom provided and then fill the ornament with the knitted tube and the verse. I am happy to answer questions or help as needed!
Your knitting project is already started. Complete the project using this pattern.
- Take the yarn that is hooked in the slot on the tube and begin wrapping from the inside of the loom in a clockwise motion around each popsicle stick in number order 1-4. You can see the pattern by looking inside the loom. Be sure the second loop stays above the bottom one.
- After wrapping #4, put the yarn back in the slot to hold it while you “chain off” this round.
- STARTING WITH #1 – pull the bottom loop up over the top loop and OFF the popsicle stick. Continue this process for 2, 3, 4. (A single loop should remain on the stick.)
- Give the “tail” of your yarn (hanging from the center) a gentle tug to keep your knitting snug.
- Unhook the working yarn from the slot and repeat the process again.
- Continue this pattern until you have about 8 inches of working yarn remaining.
- To end your project, run the end of your yarn through each loop left on the popsicle sticks to close the stitches. You can tie a knot to help if needed.
- Cut off the rest of your yarn to use as your hanger.
- Write your name below the verse on your verse paper.
- Carefully remove the silver top of the ornament.
- Insert your tube knitting through the hole.
- Roll up your verse & name paper and stick it into the hole.
- Squeeze together the prongs on the top to reinsert them into the ornament.
- Add your last piece of yarn as a hanger.
This website has a great written and video tutorial on tube knitting.